Been an expat for a long time?
I’ve been living abroad one and off since I was 18 and it’s made me a little odd I guess. How about you, Expaters?
You know when you’ve been away from ‘home’ for a long, long time when…
- Someone asks you where you got an item of clothing and you reply with a country
- You’re asked where you’re from and you stop to consider the long or the short story
- You don’t understand your kids talking to each other (or need a dictionary)
- A trip to the hairdresser is the scariest time of the month
- You meet a friend from your home country and you’re not sure whether to kiss or shake hands and end up snogging their ear
- You punch the air with joy because actually understand street directions
- You punch the air with joy even harder because you managed to give street directions
- You’ve read the leaflet countless times but you’re still not sure where to insert the medication
- You go to a supermarket in your birth country and need three trolleys
- You speak expat English… ‘You like my blog, yes?’