Last year expatriate networking organisation Internations released a study listing ten types of expat.
I’m not sure which category I fall into. In fact, I reckon it’s much more simple. Either you’re an Expater or you’re not.
In case you’re unsure where you land on the Expater scale, I’ve compiled my own quiz.
1. A friend is travelling to your hometown. Do you:
- Order them to bring back a whole suitcase of Yorkshire Tea / TimTams / Vegemite / Kraft Mac n Cheese even if smuggling said items could incur a jail sentence (one point)
- Compile a presentation listing top restaurants, cultural artefacts and hotels in the area, hooking them up with friends for upgrades, reservations and further recommendations (two points)
- Ask why – there’s a party going down this weekend in your expat ‘hood (three points)
2. A job offering comes up in a rather glamorous new country. Do you:
- Ignore it – it’s even further from your home country, so why bother? (minus one point)
- Begin updating your CV (one point)
- Check in at the airport (two points)
3. You meet a tall, dark handsome stranger on holiday and a serious romance blossoms. Do you:
- Check their visa status for living in your home country (one point)
- Check your visa status for living in their country (two points)
- Buy furniture for your new home together (three points)
4. Your passport is:
- Under six months old (one point)
- Rather dog eared with lots of stamps in it (two points)
- Always in your handbag, just in case (three points)
5. You chose your university / college because…
- it was the closest to your parents’ place (minus two points)
- it was the best in the world for your chosen subject (two points)
- you were looking a little pale and needed to top up your tan (three points)
6. Your favourite drink is:
- You never drink abroad – can’t trust the ice or the cleanliness of the glasses (minus five points)
- G&T / Guinness / wine from your home country (two points)
- Whichever local tipple the barman is serving that day (three points)
How you scored:
0 – 5 points: You’re not an Expater. Please leave this sitet.
5 – 8 points: Hoorah! You’re a bonafide Expater. Welcome!
9 points and upwards: Congratulations, you’re a globe trotting, adventure seeking Expater pro. Can we be friends?
Also check out this post with an expat club’s listing of different expat personalities. I’m a studying romantic accompanying spouse who at times misses her foreign assignment life. And you?